January 2, 2016

Chaplin Day By Day: 1936: Jan. 1-2

Well, I'm going to give my "day by day" idea a try. I've bounced this idea around ever since I started this blog. The plan is that I will follow Charlie around for one year of his life. I chose 1936 for several reasons: it was exactly 80 years ago, it was the year one of his most iconic and popular movies was released, and it was also the year of his travels with, and possible marriage to, Paulette Goddard. There may not be daily updates. Sometimes I may just update the series once a week or every couple of weeks. We'll see how it goes.

Wednesday, January 1st: I'll kick off the month with a spread about Chaplin that appeared in the January 1936 issue of Vanity Fair.


Thursday, January 2nd: Charlie and Paulette were among the guests at a dinner party at the Trocadero hosted by newlyweds James H.R. Cromwell, an economist and author, and his wife, Doris Duke. Also in attendance were Cromwell's sister and brother-in-law, Mr. & Mrs. Lionel Atwill, Harry d'Arrast, Eddie Sutherland, Mary Pickford, Eleanor Boardman, and Lionel Barrymore & wife, Irene Fenwick. (Los Angeles Times, January 5th, 1936)

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea and I love the year you chose! Right smack in the 30's, my fav era, and when he was traveling and on a professional and personal high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to gravitate toward the '30s when it comes to Chaplin's life. It was an interesting time for him.

      Delete